- Last week saw the publication of The Coalition: Our Programme for Government; sections 14 and 26-28 should be of particular interest to regular site visitors
- All payments to Child Trust funds will be scrapped by January
- As part of government cuts, £670 million will be cut from education spending, although schools and Sure Start are protected
- Many quangos will be most affected by the cuts; Becta is to close, while the QCDA, the Children's Workforce Development Council, the School Food Trust and other organisations will all have their budgets reduced
- The National Children's Bureau has criticised the decision to axe the Play strategy
- It's been confirmed that parents will be given the opportunity to set up their own 'free schools'
The new government's approach towards the early years and family sectors is being made clearer. Today's post is simply a collection of links to news stories which outline some of the most important changes: